I not only love elephants. I love cooking too. And photography. And, I love, love, love Bea’s blog La Tartine Gourmande! Recipes so delicious that you want to cook nothing but La Tartine Gourmande anymore (even if you don’t like cooking that much….) and pictures soo beautiful that, even if you’re not into food and cooking, you come back over and over again just to enjoy some photography awesomeness!! If you’ve not discovered her blog yet, stop what you do and hop over there right away – you really, really don’t want to miss it!!!
Here’s a little sample for you – a summer taste… Bea’s Kiwi, Grapefruit and Crab Salad prepared with a little help from the cutest kitchen helpers ever…
Trunk-up measuring cups (by Pier One) – for a little extra luck in the kitchen… They’ll make sure you get it right even if you’re not so “cooking inclined”!!… Ready to get chopping? Alright, here you go:
Kiwi, Grapefruit and Crab Salad
(for 4 people)
- 4 kiwis
- 1 large grapefruit
- 7 oz fresh crab meat
- 1 inch ginger root, freshly and thinly grated
- 1 lime zest
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2.5 to 3 Tbsp avocado oil*
- 1 tsp coriander, chopped
- 1 dash of piment d’Espelette
- 1 pomegranate
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh mesclun salad (tossed in a vinaigrette made of olive oil and white balsamic vinegar in which I infuse thyme and garlic cloves)
* Use another light vegetable oil if you cannot find avocado oil
- Peel the kiwis and dice them.
- Peel the grapefruit and remove any white parts. Dice it as well.
- Take the seeds out of the pomegranate and place them in a bowl with the kiwis and grapefruit.
- Chop the coriander and mix it in.
- Add the crab and mix gently.
- Peel the ginger and grate it very thinly. Grate the zest of 1 lime and squeeze the juice of the lime.
- In a bowl, mix together salt, pepper, the lime juice and zest, ginger, the Piment d’Espelette and the avocado oil. When you are ready to serve, season the crab preparation with this dressing. You can serve this appetizer as is on plates, or use ring molds to make a more elegant presentation.
- Top the appetizers with the seasoned fresh mesclun salad.